Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Diary of General Ramble




Forces to date: 25mm Nappies

It has been a very productive couple of months on the painting front. Yesterday I realised that I am over halfway through painting IV Kolonne, and would be even further had I not spent time churning out French for the playtest games. Now I have six line infantry battalions, with one each of Grenz, Jager and Freiwillige, leaving 7 line battalions to go. In terms of cavalry I did make the Uhlans a little large (at 24) so I have cut back the others to 18. This means I am only six figures away from completing the HusR10 Stipiscz and that leaves 9 figures for ChlR6. I already have enough figures to do all of ChlR6, plus 3 battalions of IR2 and the Carneville Freicorps Hussars from V Kolonne. The latter are six figures taken from the HusR10 after going down from 24 to 18. What to do with the 6 figures from ChlR6 I do not know, either they will become staff dragoons for Rosenberg or become ChlR2, Dragoons...whatever.

In term of the artillery park I now have one cavalry battery, a brigade battery, a 6lb position battery and the Grenz 3lb section done. I only need to do one more 6lb brigade battery and I am complete. For Wagram I have a landwehr battalion already completed and a figures for a second. These are Lower Austrian Landwehr in corsehut. I also need 2 battalions of Moravian Landwehr, and I'll get them from Front Rank in broad-brimmed hat, as the number of 'country folk' was considerably higher.

The 1806 Prussians are more-or-less complete. Limbers are on their way. I need an ammunition wagon, but a SYW one will be fine, and some Schutzen for the infantry. To paint up I have 3 more dragoons which will give me a unit of 8. Floating as spares I have some grenadier command, half a dozen fusiliers and some more horse gunners. I think they are going to gather dust for a bit...

The French are in a similar state, insofar as they need a few bits and pieces to complete. As Front Rank does not do limbers or caissons I am having to get these seperately. But the upshot is that I have 9 battalions out of 15 painted, 2 out of 3 cavalry regiments and 2 out of 3 batteries. In other words this is more-or-less complete re; figures.

In the same way are the Spanish: one limber, an ammo wagon, 3 cavalry and 48 infantry short of completion. But these are going to be a slow burner, as I am not really interested in the Peninsular. But I can forsee them coming out later in the year. ATM all the Austrians mean I want to 'cut' them with something not in white, and that ain't the Spanish.

The Future

I have decided to spend no more cash on the little men other than what I can make from painting or sale of my own stuff that I no longer need. To this end £40 has already come from a private sale to Dave from Guildford and £70 has been made on ebay. I am currently painting and selling all my 15mm ACW and 30mm Flintloque stuff and a chum from the 200-ers has asked me to do £50 painting for him. Some of this will go to buying more little men: already on their way are two Prussian limbers for the 1806 mob, three battalion guns for the 1740's Spanish and some Wurttemberg samples. Also there are a few 15mm ACW bits to round off units to paint and sell.

The first priority is to get the Austrians finished for Aspern-Essling and Wagram next year. The way this is likely to run is me painting Austrians like mad up to the final whistle. If I can get IV and V Kolonnes done by Aspern I will be a very happy man. Wagram will be later that year so in that time I will be looking to add units (like the 3 landwehr battalions) to the mix. I reckon I am £300-350 away from getting all the figures I need.

But I cannot just paint up Austrians. Firstly, I will go snowblind. Secondly I will develop a Blofeld-style accent and look longingly at Persian cats. Of course it depends what comes up commercially and I want to get the Frogs completed too. But I am looking to a post French/Austrian future. I want a French ally that is not all in white or has masses of piping and has some military competence: Poles or Wurttembergers. I know David has some Poles so I am looking at Wurttembergers from Bicorne/Conoisseur/Firing Line. Professional, good all round ability and some good light cavalry in particular.

For allies to follow the Austrians? Well, that is easy: Russians. Borodino and later is going to want lots of them, but I am going to start with Stroganoff's Grenadier division. But I also have this hankering to do all of the Prussian Guard...

All this could, of course, be pie in the sky and a lot depends on sales on ebay and painting commissions but, well, lets see how far it goes.

1 comment:

Robert said...

I'm enjoying your blog immensely, and it is good to see you up and posting again.

Very interesting discussion on rules, with some excellent eye candy as well!

Robert